Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Le Mont St Michel

Our time in Paris ended all too quickly, but T and I were lucky that our journey did not end there. After an extremely early departure from the apartment with Eunice and Randy to CDG airport, T and I proceeded to rent a tiny (yet extremely expensive) car. It's hard to imagine now how anyone, especially someone so directionally challenged as myself, got where they were going before the dawn of the GPS age (yes I am aware of how maps work). T and I did it abroad a few short years ago and this was WAY easier. The drive west to the Brittany region was bucolic and peaceful, save the few confusing driving situations and being robbed blind at every toll booth. Our tolls exceeded 30 USD for a roughly 250 mile drive. And let's not forget that gas here is about ten bucks a gallon.
Any worry I may have had about expenses quickly faded as we caught our first glimpse of medieval St Michel in the distance. The Garmin and le petit bleu (our car's name) got us there in about 4 hours. T picked this stop a few months ago and I am so glad he did, being that it is one of the most incredible places I have ever visited. Construction and use of this tidal island city began in about the 10th century and efforts are currently being made to restore it to it's former glory despite the many years of weathering ad erosion. Home of the St Michel (the archangel Michael) monastery and important as a fortress in many wars, most notably the Hundred Year's War, is now a Unesco World heritage site and home to 41 people, mostly priests/monks I think. Anyway, you can go read about it, but I hope my pictures do even a little bit of justice to this magical place.

No comments:

Post a Comment